Reading Time: < 1 min
Banana peels are 42 % potassium—making them one of the highest organic potassium sources. We don’t like to eat them, but your plants will love them.
Banana peels also contain:
- calcium (which helps plants take up more nitrogen)
- manganese (helps with photosynthesis)
- sodium (helps movement of water between cells)
- magnesium and sulfur (both helpful in the formation of chlorophyll).
So here’s how to make the easiest fertilizer for your potassium loving plants (eg. tomatoes and peppers)
Making Banana Peel Fertilizer
- Soak banana peels for a couple of days (up to a week) in water
- one quart jar / 1L jar with one peel
- Pour around your garden and particularly to your crops that need more potassium
- Pour around your plant