As summer is approaching so is the need to protect yourself from harmful UV rays. So here our shortlist of marine & coral safe, zero-waste and non-toxic sunscreens.
What are the ingredients to look out for in sunscreens that are harmful for marine-life? Here the list of toxic chemicals for us and our oceans:
- Nano-titanium dioxide
- Nano-zinc oxide
This is how sunscreen chemicals can affect marine life:
- Green Algae: they can impair their growth and ability to photosynthesize
- Coral: they can accumulate in tissues, and induce bleaching, damage their DNA and deform their young.
- Mussels: they can affect and deform their offspring
- Sea Urchins: they can damage immune and reproductive systems and deform their young.
- Fish: they can decrease fertility/reproduction and cause female characteristics in male fish
- Dolphins: They can accumulate in tissues and be transferred to their young