“We created The No Catch Co, to give people the taste and experience of eating seafood, but without the immense environmental damage and horrendous suffering and death that comes with eating fish. We want to see a future where the oceans, and all the life contained within them, are treated with the respect that they deserve”
You might recognise Earthling Ed as the popular English vegan activist—a common speaker across universities in Europe, a recent author of the book “This is vegan propaganda,” and a vegan restaurateur—he opened Unity diner in 2018 in London.
Since Unity’s opening one main ingredient stood out against the rest: their tofish options. A soy-based alternative to fish, fried to taste and feel like the real thing. This inspired Ed to further endeavour into vegan restaurants, and most recently launched No Catch Co. A chain of tofish & chips. The first joint just opened its doors in Brighton, UK.
Why we’re excited about No Catch Co:
In the UK fish & chips joints are ubiquitous. They are the epitomy of an easy English meal. Yet most people are not even sure which type of fish is being served—often times it’s a species of shark. Earthling Ed’s vision aims to disrupt this quintessential British tradition, by providing a delicious alternative.
This is the future, and we’re so excited about it.
6 reasons why you should avoid eating fish:
- Up to 2.7 trillion fish are caught every year, or up to 5 million caught every minute.
- Fish don’t make omega 3 fatty acids, algae do.
- Fish have the capacity to experience pain and fear
- 38% of the mangrove deforestation worldwide is caused by shrimp farming
- each salmon farm in Scotland produces as much organic waste equivalent to a town of between 10 and 20,000 people each year
- the largest trawl nets are so big that they can swallow whole cathedrals or up to 13 jumbo jets.